Wednesday, May 26, 2010

a child shall lead them... or so we pray

I got home from coffee tonight to find my next door neighbour's son discussing something with my dad on the doorstep. In one hand he held a bible I'd given him, in the other a string of beads that he'd made at school. He wanted to know why they had to kill the ram, and how the cross was involved. (the story of Abraham and the sacrifice of Isaac)

We answered his questions and I walked him home. It turns out that his mother was reading him the bible while his brother had a bath and when he asked this question she said "honey, I don't know the answer, I could make it up but why don't you go next door and ask Liz instead" .. so he did, and then she asked me to explain it to her on her doorstep.

This family astounds me. They read the bible to their son more than a lot of christian parents I know, they send him to a catholic school where he learns about God (even though I know a lot of christian parents justify sending thier kids to state schools) and are willing to walk his journey of discovery with him.

I love how they've taken their young son to all different types of churches in town because he wanted to see what they were like. As Christian families we don't often do this! We stay within our closet denomination, not experiencing what else is possible, and often don't ask people to explain simple things which we don't understand because we might feel embarrassed.

This little boy is leading both me and his parents to know God better.


No comments: