Wednesday, May 12, 2010

As unto

I've heard a lot in my life about "working unto the Lord". I agree that this should be fundamental in our work ethic, however, recent events have caused me to think a lot about it, and a lot about how I've applied it in my life.

I have, due to what could perhaps be described as an over developed sense of responsibility, recently passed on an amazing job with an organisation I hold in very high esteem. Furthermore, due to previously putting work before health care have canceled numerous appointments which I evidently know I should have kept. The last one in particular has had me on antibiotics for a week and in bed the past two days.

The thing is this, God will take care of us, but we also need to take care of ourselves. Yes, we need to work hard, but it doesn't mean that we should cancel appointments or place things on an uneven keel... in all things we need to submit to God, and in all things we need to honour him - in our body: with what we eat, how much rest we get, how we exercise and take care of ourselves - in work: in doing the best we can, in working hard and seeing things through - in our relationships: by not holding grudges, by looking out for each other, by believing in others and seeing the best in them - in life: by living as unto the Lord.

I'm looking forward to pondering this some more - to find the right balance and to implement it.

No comments: