Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tired eyes

Being a person of rather eclectic hobbies I get rather excited when I am close to "tying off" something that I start. The weekend past helped me in one of my current and long continuing endeavors, as, for quite sometime I've slowly been collecting the "Billabong" books by Mary Grant Bruce and I was able to add three more to my bookshelf. They're an older series and best read in an early edition format as they were re-printed later on in life to be more politically correct... and I'd rather not read that edited tosh! Being older books they've been a bit hard to find and I'm glad to say that I now only have two more of the 15 books in the series to add to my bookshelf - quite a feat if I do say so myself.

One of my favorite things is a book that my brother gave me on stories of collectible books and this journey is part of my own sojourn... I've always had a thing for books with history (which is why his gift was so thoughtful), and it's nice to have almost completed a collection to add to my collection. The end is in sight too - I know where the other two can be found :)

The reason for my Title though is this, I've never finished reading the series. I've made myself read book by book through the titles, and until I can buy/find the next one I can't move on. So, after finding three more books (which opens the possibility of 7 more) I've been reading in many of my quiet moments, just dying to find out what happens with Norah, Wally, Jim and Mr Linton. And my eyes are tired because I've been reading so much!

It's also helped me keep my mind off many other things. You see - I've been a bit of a turtle recently and reading has helped process things subconsciously when I've had no idea about how to get through things otherwise. I haven't cried recently, even though I know that a big cry would probably do me good - but thinking that Jim had died made me shed a tear. Wally has made me hope and dream and feel. Norah has made me think of others and Mr Linton has made me wonder how I can give more generously. Books can be an escape, and these books are a healthy one for me right now. They're pure.

When I'm incessantly busy I know that there's something not quite right - this is now... but I also know that if I can push through for another week there's rest ahead. And I'm thankful too for the knowledge that I can Lie Here and God's grace will carry me through and provide me with things like Billabong to help me be a bit more like Galatians 5:22-23 and not 5:19-21 (which I'm afraid I tend more towards :(

I've been listening to the following song quite a bit and it's a nice thing to ponder as I close the computer lid and head off to the land of nod to be a viking (Simpsons quote that a friend shared with me and still makes me smile) (and yes, I tonight, like my hobbies, have been rather eclectic and scattered in thought! - the truth is I was hoping I'd be able to write about something else I've been pondering but this came through my brain and out my fingers instead (!)

Can I lie here in Your arms
Can I lie here in Your arms
My only calm is You
Save me

Can I lie here in Your arms
Can I lie here in Your arms
My only thought is You
Save me

Can I lie here in Your arms
Can I lie here in Your arms
My happiness is You
Save me

Oh how lovely this place
To be with You
To be with You

Oh the brightness of Your face
Here with You
Here with You

Oh my only calm is You
Oh my only thought is You
Oh my happiness is You
Oh my happiness is You

To be with You
To be with You
Save me


(Lyrics by David Crowder: Can I Lie Here)

No comments: