Thursday, October 09, 2008

"Dream"

I bought a painting tonight entitled "Dream" - it's an acrylic done on two vinyl records. Black and white tree and girl holding a brown mixed media lace umbrella... simple yet effective.

Aside from the style of the piece I really enjoyed what the artist had to say about the work:
"This painting was inspired by a song that I heard earlier this year. The lines that caught my attention were, 'I was a little girl alone in my little world who dreamed of a little home for me... I had a dream that I could fly from the highest tree. I had a dream.'"
While I've never heard of this song before, I've just googled it and discovered that it too is entitled "Dream" and is by Priscilla Ahn. The full lyrics are below, listening and reading them I'm really pleased that not only do I identify with the picture I also identify with the song it's based upon. (well, maybe not the third verse but I hope to one day!)
I was a little girl alone in my little world who dreamed of a little home for me.
I played pretend between the trees, and fed my houseguests bark and leaves, and laughed in my pretty bed of green.

I had a dream
That I could fly from the highest swing.
I had a dream.

Long walks in the dark through woods grown behind the park, I asked God who I'm supposed to be.
The stars smiled down on me, God answered in silent reverie. I said a prayer and fell asleep.

I had a dream
That I could fly from the highest tree.
I had a dream.

Now I'm old and feeling grey. I don't know what's left to say about this life I'm willing to leave.
I lived it full and I lived it well, there's many tales I've lived to tell. I'm ready now, I'm ready now, I'm ready now to fly from the highest wing.

I had a dream

Ironically, reading her bio she's also from Pennsylvania... that's two times today. God only knows for I certainly do not... But I have just become am a fan of Miss Ahn so that's all that matters tonight!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

On vinyl records? That is such a different idea. I did a painting on tree bark once. But that's about as unusual a surface as I've ever tried. Now you know how I found your blog. ;) Interesting.

Brian

somewhere_smiling said...

Thanks for the comment Brian! Yeah - was interesting, the picture transitions between the two of them which makes it even more fascinating. Cheers!

Miwa in HK said...

BEAUTIFUL words:) and would love to see the painting now...:) so glad you bought it! Thanks for sharing:) xox