Sunday, April 13, 2008

Absolute or Circumstantial?

I went to communion this evening at St Luke's for a refreshing change (and to be honest because I listened to an on-line sermon, watched 3 disks of Season 6 Gilmour Girls and hung out with mom instead of going to church this morning). Aside from the liturgy and readings, the sermon was not one I'd usually hear... in fact, I don't think I've ever heard a pastor say what the priest said tonight...

He said that there was no such thing as absolute sin. No black and white. Instead, sin is circumstantial. Yes, slightly more liberal teaching then my usual digs, in fact, slightly more liberal then my usual Communion Priest! Usually I get very solid teaching, tonight, I leave wondering what is going on???

He based the homily on the passage "Christ came that you might have life and live it abundantly" in comparison that "the devil comes to kill steal and destroy", so if you're living in life and having abundant fun it's all good - but if you're living in death (i.e. not fun) then you're living in sin. Part of it I agree with - yes, Christ does bring life, we are supposed to walk in harmony with people, and it is when relationships are living in lies, when there's not honesty in relationships (another of his points) that we're living in sin. But to go so far as to say there's no absolutes I completely disagree with.

Yes, circumstance does have a part to play in our society and justice system. Someone killing a rapist in self defense is one of them - the jury looks at the evidence and states the murder wasn't murder, although a life was taken. However, what about the rape? Is it ever right to rape someone? What circumstance would make that right?

Yes, Sin is Sin, my sin of lying in God's eyes is just as bad as adultery - we all have fallen short, and that's what Grace is about - he HAS forgiven us and we rejoice and live freely in that... but to say that there are no absolutes??

Yes, a bit of a rant tonight. Good news though - Jonno and Carly are back from the UK and brought back wonderful gifties - tins of tea and greek almond biscuits :)

*** oh - I must also add, the priest sounded like Mr Smith from the Matrix - how ironic is that!

No comments: