Monday, April 14, 2008

Copying Beethoven


I write this while lying in my bed, listening to the majestic orchestration of the Classic Composers. Beethoven, Brahms, Handle, Strauss, and Vivaldi echoing through the house as I close my eyes and listen to the wonder that their music evokes.

Beethoven believed that music was/is the language of God and it is nights like tonight which I agree with him (and Brahms who also believed that). To be carried away on the streams and currents contained in these pieces is one of the joys in life for me. I tend not to listen to CD's though because the quality is so substandard to hearing it live that I just don't enjoy it as much...

Tonight though is different. Mom and I watched Copying Beethoven, a movie staring Ed Harris, based very loosely on Beethoven's last years and ninth symphony... very little historically accurate from what I can gather, but simply outstanding musically. So tonight, I throw away my snobbish dislike for CD quality orchestral work and go to sleep listening to the language of God speaking to my soul.

(This blog was also of interest - Finding God through Billy Joel & Bud Light)

No comments: