Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"You only cook a carrot cake to eat the icing"


I woke at 6am this morning with the urge to bake a carrot cake.... Only to realise after the cooking that I am indeed a perfectionist with baking. I'm my own worst critic (sound familiar?) . On the way to the doctor this morning though, Mom made the comment above "people only make a carrot cake to eat the cream cheese icing".

My baking thus far has been very healthy, LSA (linseed, soy and almonds) replacing some of the flower, the flower is wholemeal stone-ground and organic, I use 1/4 of the sugar in the recipe or less, etc. etc. etc. But darn! My beloved mother is right - I want that cream cheese icing!!!

It makes one think, what else to we do for the icing - go for a run to feel the endorphines (I for one wouldn't run without them as a bonus!), watch a movie to drift off into someone else's world, work for the cheque, garden for the flowers... bake a carrot cake just to eat the the icing.

Or perhaps it's for the delicious smell wafting past my senses right now?

(note: the carrot cake remains for the meantime un-iced - but we'll see if it gets eaten!)

No comments: