Monday, May 03, 2010

Whom Not to Marry: Time-Tested Advice from a Higher Authority



On Saturday I bought and read Father Pat's Connor's book Whom Not to Marry and really, really enjoyed it. I'm not a great lover of self help books, and have really grown to detest books on singleness, but this book was different and so I took it to Gloria Jeans and read it while sipping my mocha (until the building alarm went off and I decided it was time to leave!) The theme of the book is simple - when we want something a great deal, we can overlook things we shouldn't and this book points out in a sensitive, humorous and applicable way some of those things.

Each chapter is based on a part from 1 Corinthians 13 and what I found so encouraged by is that it wasn't about being married - it was about the qualities involved in making something work in an area where over 50% of those that start off in the journey fail. Yes - I do want to be married - but there's things which are a lot more important than that. Becoming and being a person of character is one of those things.

"Patience is the ability to wait without complaint for what we desire - and what we know in our heart we deserve. Patience gives us the strength to face what is in front of us, while waiting for what may like beyond us."

...still on pain killers - and sooooo over it. My whole body is tense :(

No comments: