Tuesday, March 16, 2010

No Clothes and Happy

No, I haven't joined a nudist colony or any other such thing... I've bought a painting - the price of which will greatly restrict my purchasing of clothing for the remainder of the year.

After coming home from Canberra (note: very, very thankful for that time and while there were challenges of which I wrote, there was also some extraordinary moments and new friendships which were formed - and for which I am very thankful) I developed a cold :( starting with an extraordinary sore throat. Considering the woman's camp I was speaking at was that weekend I was tired, sick and perhaps a little worried.

On Saturday we went to Mooloolaba and popped into an art gallery. It was there that I saw "Glory" a painting of a sunrise over the ocean. The artist in his description of it speaks of the hope which is in new day, even if we don't see the sun rise and how the colours changed so fast he felt God laughing at him "see if you can keep up with me David". The painting has joy and life and expression.

The original was out of my price range, however, the Curator noticed my interest and asked me if I would be interested in commissioning a smaller work of the same subject. "Yes!" was my reply, but that I would think on it overnight. I'm glad I did. I watched that evening a DVD of the Author and read more on his works - he uses some symbols within his artwork - one of them being a trumpet. The trumpet is a herald instrument and he uses it to symbolise the call which each of us have on our lives and the things which we are passionate about. In this stage of my life this was a very meaningful symbol, so when I went back to confirm my commissioned work, I asked if the artist could paint a trumpet where he signs his name. She called, he said he loved the idea and thus I will get it in my painting. Every new day there is hope (regardless of whether we see or feel it) and the call on our lives is still there. There's a lot more to this painting and the layers of meaning that I won't share here but I'm rather glad I won't be buying any more clothes this year!

The women's camp and talk went well too :)

I am now home for the day though with my contagious cold drinking hot lemon, ginger, cinnamon and honey tea with english muffins - maybe being sick isn't sooo bad???

2 comments:

Ads said...

What a brilliant post to read.

And you know we have to see a picture of the painting, don't you. :-)

somewhere_smiling said...

:) Thanks Ads - Link coming soon to the original :)