Friday, November 07, 2008

Flying away... litterally!

My favourite character ever penned was that of a hobbit, and at the moment I feel very hobbitish… As Gandalf says, "You can learn all that there is to know about [hobbits’] ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch" – read in context that sentence describes me at this point.

I’m having one of those surprise you at a pinch moments… you see… I’m sitting in the Airport Lounge about to get on a plane to NZ after a call this morning (before my first cup of tea no less!) to say that the family in NZ had been told to “prepare” the relatives for my Nan passing away.

My Nan (who is the only one that calls me Beth) has been asking every time we talk “when are you coming to see me”, and I’ve never been able to make it – or never thought I could, so I planned to be there for Christmas. Now, knowing that there may not be too many days left, I’ve realised how easy it is just to pick up and be somewhere if you feel you need to be.

I’m incredibly blessed by my boss who released me to leave work early and encouraged me to “get on the next available flight” instead of leaving tomorrow.

No idea what lies ahead (hopefully a safe landing!) but I know that making this effort is right. In any case, I get to see my brother before Christmas and I've also got a party lined up for tomorrow night with his mates - Thanks Steve :)

1 comment:

Miwa in HK said...

Oooh... blessings to you as you go my friend! Hope this is a precious time with your Nan and New Zealand family! Will be praying!! MUCH love to you!!! xoxox