Monday, May 12, 2008

Sarah's Faith - an encouragement to us doubters

Adam preached a very impacting word yesterday for mother's day. One that had me going forward for prayer which is an unusual event.

He shared how Sarah scoffed at God's word that she would bear a child. Her laughter which is mentioned was an insult - a disbelief with scorn - was well justified by facts, but over time she came to have faith in this word proven by her bearing Isaac and also her being mentioned in Hebrews 11 as a woman of great faith.

He spoke of the pain that Sarah must have felt, the trepidation that this was a cruel joke, and this promise that was given to her that she came to believe. Faith founded in the knowledge that God is not cruel, and a loving God would not hurt us by a rotten deception:

9 The men said to him, "Where is Sarah your wife?"

He said, "In the tent."

10 One of them said, "I'm coming back about this time next year. When I arrive, your wife Sarah will have a son." Sarah was listening at the tent opening, just behind the man.

11-12 Abraham and Sarah were old by this time, very old. Sarah was far past the age for having babies. Sarah laughed within herself, "An old woman like me? Get pregnant? With this old man of a husband?"

13-14 God said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh saying, 'Me? Have a baby? An old woman like me?' Is anything too hard for God? I'll be back about this time next year and Sarah will have a baby."

15 Sarah lied. She said, "I didn't laugh," because she was afraid.

But he said, "Yes you did; you laughed."

I was very challenged by a few situations in my life where I, like Sarah, don't believe that God will bring about the good which he has promised. I sing the song Amazing Grace but doubt the words "The Lord has promised good to me; his word my hope secures; He will my shield and portion be as long as life endures."

I want to believe them, but I, like Sarah, don't see how it is possible. I was so encouraged though that God understands my doubt, born out of fear, pain and past hurts, and will walk the journey with me to complete the good work that he has already begun.

Hallelujah - the Lord has promised good - and this I shall believe... and when I doubt, thank God he understands and comforts me through it!

By the way - have I mentioned lately that I love my job? In case I haven't ... I do :)

No comments: