Friday, May 09, 2008

Parts

Part One

I attended an Open Doors meeting last night and was struck by two thoughts as the event began. Firstly, I am a privileged person. The heritage of my parents gives me access to some amazing people with whom they have great relationships. I was humbled by a discussion with Australia’s Open Doors Director and his wife that they have had my photo on their fridge and that I am in their prayers. I look back on lunches that I’ve had with people, and phone conversations as I pass the call on to Mom or Dad, that I have been blessed by my parents Godly friends and continue to be. I hope that I can pass this same heritage on to my children.

Secondly, as I looked around my Church hall that was the location for the event, with some people who had travelled for a few hours to be there, I couldn’t help but notice that it was mostly occupied by the grey haired generation. While there were more younger people than I expected (which is GREAT) I was impacted by how lucky we are to have these people with us – but who will take up the baton of prayer after they go? Will we? Do we realise what gold they are, and do we honour them as we should?

The meeting was exceptional, and well worth getting out for on a dark and cold evening. I was challenged by the thought of forgiveness and really feel that God is on my case about this. Some know that I returned from HK quite hurt, but regardless of that I need to forgive and I ask God to help me do so.

It was good to feel again that desire to serve God, no matter what the cost and hunger to know him more. To say again to my God, “here I am use me”. I want to connect with people on the front line and continue to be inspired by them.

Part Two

For anyone that’s read this far, well done. You get to hear Part Two…. Which is a recognition that I am where I am supposed to be. Last year I expected to be getting ready to move to the USA about this time of year and now, with family health issues, I’m so glad I’m here to support my Mom and Dad. It is a challenge though and I would appreciate your prayers.

Aside from a surgery occurring later this month within the family that will have significant recuperation time (and with that its own challenges), my mom mentioned to me this morning how she is aware of her own mortality and the desire to do all that she can in the time that’s remaining. With two siblings dying at 63 years of age, Mom, now 61, is keen to live her life to the full. I certainly don’t want to contemplate life without either of my parents, but I commend both of them in all that they are each doing with the time that is given.

No comments: