Sunday, October 21, 2007

My Saturday

After a productive morning of housework, Lynda and I spent the afternoon handling horses. I was astounded as I reflected on the ages of the foals and how they acted compared to humans or other mammals at the same stage in life.

For instance - They're thinking. Creatures with an already defined personality - some are curious & friendly, others are stubborn, some are snobbish and still others are brash and bossy. At only ten days old one foal impressed me with her calm presence when under pressure. Being asked to walk for the first time with a rope around her neck, never handled by humans before, she was patted and pushed and kept away from mommy and milk - keeping her head where others have failed. My favourite, a young cold of 23 days age after three small sessions of under five minutes, now lets me approach and pat him in the paddock and scratch him all over.

I'm just blown away that these creatures are so young, and not so long ago were still gestating in their mother's womb. Now, out in the world they're coping marvellously. I can only wonder at the difference between this and humans with my mind bursting with comparisons and lessons to be learnt.

A funny anecdote though - our stallion was tempted by a mare coming on heat so we moved her out of his paddock considering the danger of him becoming permanently injured while attempting to "perform" when she's not quite as eager as he is. We switched her with another mare and for the next few hours could observe him trying to prove his male dominance by keeping her penned in different parts of the paddock. What was funny though is no matter how many times he got kicked, or how hard (I heard the impact of a few 100 meters away) he didn't give up - nor did he forget the more desirable and in season mare just across the road - just goes to show, men really do have thick skulls!

- and yes, for those who are concerned with his welfare, he was put in a smaller enclosure by himself overnight, with only food and water for company. You can't help them that don't want help!

No comments: