Monday, September 17, 2007

An interesting day ahead

I'm sitting on my couch after taking Emma for her morning walk contemplating the day ahead.

I need to leave soon to go to the bank, and then Centrelink, following that I'm going to the funeral of a young man who died tragically and unexpectedly this past week. While I didn't know Michael very well, I do know that this memorial service will celebrate his life, with friends coming down on hired buses from the coast where he lived. What I do know of him I'll remember fondly - always a smile, or a genuine word, always recognising the importance of others and being there for them when it counted, always ready for a laugh.

Funerals always make me think of my life - what have I done, how will I be remembered? Being a little bit morbid, I remember whilst in school telling friends what songs I wanted played at my funeral - while the choices have changed, I still think sometimes about what I would wish. The older I get the more funerals I go to, some leave you feeling challenged, others sad, some simply angry at the manner of passing and wondering what you can do for the family who suffers without a loved one.

Not really knowing how to end this train of thought, I'm going to share a Heartlight word for the day I received recently - In thankfulness for Michael's life as someone who will be remembered for this, and a prayer for myself and others, that with whatever time we have remaining we would be more like this:

VERSE:
Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you,
brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints.
-- Philemon 1:7

THOUGHT:
Wouldn't this description of Philemon be a great one to have
said about you! To be loved, supported, and encouraged by an
encourager is to have your heart refreshed and your attitude
lifted. Let's make a commitment to be an "encourager" who refreshes
the hearts of those around us this week.

PRAYER:
Tender and loving God, thank you for leading the people into my
life who have encouraged me when I most needed it. Please give me
the eyes to see and the heart to serve those around me who
desperately need my encouragement. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments: