Monday, July 16, 2007

The quandary of Trust

I’ve had a great couple of weeks since I last blogged, but have found myself confronted by the issue of Trust.

It seems to be a continuing theme lesson in my life, and one that’s rather exciting to work through as in reality, God who my trust is in is really always faithful – although it may not seem so at the time with his end goals often justifying the means through which He works.

I was in a group last fortnight where we were discussing young people in the Bible who had made a difference. We were supposed to choose one, and develop the theme with that person. Our group however ended up doing “a collage of trust”, with each person speaking out someone who trusted, and is known today due to that trust.

The Widow’s sons – The two boys in 2 Kings 4 who went around their village collecting empty jars for their mother to fill with oil. Certainly they understood the importance of the situation, and in that they trusted their mother and the prophet to go to every neighbour and get jars to be filled.

Hadassah (Esther) – Her trust in Mordecai and God, within exceptional circumstances as a young girl in the King’s palace.

Mary – someone shared that they were astounded recently when they heard that she would have only been 13 years old or so and not only trusted an angel and God, but also her betrothed and aunt, Elizabeth

The boy who gave up his lunch – for which Jesus used to feed 5,000

David – who as a young man used his tools of choice, being a rock and slingshot over Saul’s armour, trusted in his skill and his God to achieve the victory. David also trusted God in the timing of when he was to become king, when he could have taken it by force many times.

Hannah – who gave up her long awaited son as a gift back to God, and Samuel who said to God, “speak”

The list could go on and on, yet, even with this heritage, I confess I often waiver in my trust. I’m thankful that God is always faithful though, and he IS worthy of my trust. Other people are too.

I think it can come down to praying to God for His will to be done, not mine, and not anyone else’s.

His Will.

In that I also must place my trust, which means knowing more of his character. If God is Love, then I can and should trust him. If he did invent the concept of Grace, I would be foolish not to. I can’t control God, I should trust him, and I shouldn't commit the witchery of praying for my will over his.

What a journey we are on : ) What an Adventure!

No comments: