Friday, April 06, 2007

Overwhelmed, but very thankful

I feel overwhelmed by the mass of humanity that is Hong Kong sometimes. Today, Good Friday, was one of those days.

It began last night (as I tried restlessly to get to sleep) with the contemplation that Jesus, the night before his death likely would have slept very little, if at all. Images of "The Passion of Christ" floated in and out of my head as I tried to remember that the intense episode of LOST I'd just been watching was only a T. V. show.

With that remembrance, I woke early this morning to head to St Andrew's for the 10am service. (Actually, I wanted to get there early as Hot Cross Buns were being served from 9:15!). The service was awe inspiring. A perfect mix of well conducted and executed choral music, Liturgy, Scripture, places for silent meditation and a good Sermon. But more than that, I found that in all my struggles with God recently, I was reminded throughout the service that that's OK. Whatever my doubts, or inability to express myself, God loves me - just as I am. And he so loved me that while I was still a sinner, and even if I would choose be a sinner my whole life and not have any relationship with him, he died... just so that if I wanted to I could be in communion with him.

Later on in the day I met up with Ian to go to Chung King Mansions where we were to meet with C.A. and discuss the possibility of visiting detained Asylum Seekers in a detention centre 500 meters down the road from where we live.

Chung King Mansions is a labyrinth of teeming humanity from all cultures, races and corners of the earth, albeit, not necessarily representing the more affluent of society. It was there, that for the first time in a long time, I was confronted by sheer desperateness. I have no other word for the need that was displayed and conveyed in our meeting, for the stories of lives with no security, or for the bedlam that I evidenced - people pushing doors demanding bread from the single female staff worker on duty, even when told there would be a full meal provided at 5pm.

I'm really thankful that we're going to be visiting people (although I don't know when that will start), but I must admit, I'm not sure how it will go. Or, in honesty, how I will cope. I first thought that the centre would be like a prison, but better, I mean... those detained have gone through hell to get to HK, at least they would be treated with dignity and respect. I found out today that I was wrong, it's worse than a prison. It's a prison with an indefinite period of detainment, no outdoor facilities (one communal room during the day, and one sleeping room at night (which you share with others from your country regardless of ethnic tensions) . It's a prison far from home and family, staffed by people that speak a different language to you and pressure you to sign papers that will make you be sent back to the country you have fled, and a prison that is governed by a legal system you don't understand and has no provision for you.

So, I now sit in my apartment, thankful for this day, yet thankful that it's almost over.

It's peaceful here. Safe. Quiet. Relaxed. Comfortable.

How privileged I am.

No comments: