Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Pondering Encouragement

"... criticism - however valid or intellectually engaging - tends to get in the way of a writer who has anything personal to say. A tightrope walker may require _practice_, but if he starts a theory of equilibrium he will lose grace (and probably fall off)." — J.R.R. Tolkien (The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien)

I had a phone call yesterday with a great friend who encouraged me to try things, and if I didn't like them not to worry as I wouldn't have to do them again, but at least I'd tried and gave it a go. It was such a contrast to what I'd heard earlier that day from another friend, cautioning me from doing anything other than what I already am.

Both these friends have walked some very hard journeys with me. Both these friends are amazing and valued and incredibly gifted. Both these friends are in very different places. Both these friends spoke into my life - but one hindered momentum and the other encouraged it. Encouragement means to "give courage or confidence or hope". I felt encouraged after talking to one, and disheartened after discussing the same things with the other.

I write this simply for two reasons, one, as a reminder that our words can bring life or death, and two as a reflection upon the year thus far. I've stuffed up pretty majorly this year already, however, God in his grace and wisdom and love has brought some pretty cool stuff out of that stuff up. Things were able to be discussed without my usual emotion because emotion had been released in my stuff up, thus only honesty remained when it was time to talk things through.

The second point may seem off base, but it's not when viewed in entirety. Walking forward there are many errors I might make, many wrong turns I might take- but God, from very recent experience, I know can bring life out of death, hope out of despair, and can make things stronger through experiences.

God is a redeeming God and this year as I hope to step out into new things and make way for Him to work in my life I'm encouraged by Him. My Courage, Confidence and Hope are found in Him - or so may it be!

No comments: