Friday, May 08, 2009

Comparison


I was walking Jake (who is now wearing shoes to combat his grass allergy!) in the park last night when I caught up with a friend who is also a friend of each of my brothers. He made a comment that has got me pondering although I entirely agree with it. His comment was simple, to the effect of "your brothers are all great guys" - which is very true. Each in their own way is talented, humble, generous, handsome, creative, intelligent, interesting, funny... the list goes on and on... and on and on!

In fact, I hear a lot about my brothers. I love them dearly and couldn't ask for better siblings or friends. The truth is, they, and the comments I hear about them, make me want to be a better person.

Sometimes comparison isn't a bad thing.

Comparison can make you see why one item is better than another when shopping. Comparison can give you perspective (for example a relationship where the two people have differing world views compared to one where both people have the same fundamental belief system). Comparison can call you up to a higher standard. Comparison can bring encouragement.

I know that there's many times comparison can be exceedingly bad. I'm not talking about this, and certainly not encouraging the negative aspects of it.

The natural comparison that went off in my head last night wondering what people said to my brothers about me encouraged me to want to be a better person. Thanks guys :)

4 comments:

Ads said...

Wow, what a spunky set of siblings!!!

somewhere_smiling said...

indeed!

Ads said...

You were included in that adjective by the way! (Just in case that wasn't clear ;-)

somewhere_smiling said...

You're wonderful! Great to hear from you and hope all is going well??