Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Back Home

I'm sick :( was sent home from work today as I was fairly ill and while there's so much that I want to write about my trip I'm apprehensive that any attempt will fall short of the mark due to my current state. I'll make the effort though:

Hong Kong is such an amazing place. When I got off the plane and started exploring again I wondered if I could move there once more... the conclusion I've come to is no. It's my ideal holiday, perhaps an awesome place to visit once a year or two to go back to a place that is familiar yet so different to my current life - great friends are there too which really helps. My conclusion is based upon the thought that working and living in HK is great - as long as you've got the money to keep up with the Jones - and at the end of the day I don't want to live that lifestyle. In Toowoomba I can keep regular hours at work, I have clean air, I have an amazing mix between city and country - in Hong Kong it's great to party, but the contrast between poverty and pleasure is so extreme that I don't know if I could be settled unless doing charity work.

The one comment that I heard most frequently was that I looked "relaxed" - was a pleasant thing to hear! As my stay continued though, I felt more and more caught up in the hustle and bustle of life, it was great, but stressful.

I managed to keep to my restriction of not eating pork or shellfish - absolutely astounding! I never made it up to the Peak (and my fav. restaurant) or to have that Lychee martini, but I don't have any regrets.

This photo for me just about sums up the luxury of Hong Kong - this one and the one of the $200,000 phone - hand made and pure gold... now imagine the feeling of dropping that in a beer eskie as I did with my last one!

No comments: