Saturday, April 26, 2008

Think on These Things

It's so true that God, through the Bible, instructs us to do things not because he wants us to follow all these rules, but because they're actually good for us. One of these instructions that was highlighted to me today was the passage in Philippians 4:8, encouraging us to think on good things.

Two friends and I were discussing depression this afternoon and why it is that when we have so much going for us, such great families, such good jobs, such prospects and such a wonderful lifestyle we still get down, me more than either of them, but all of us facing the same affliction of getting overcome and "down".

One of my friends said it could be because we're so quick to focus on what's going bad, when really, we have so much great stuff - we have our health - yes, sometimes it is dodgy, but we can still walk on both legs - we have our family - we have our friends - we have our hobbies and jobs and all manner of things to be thankful for, and yet, we so often ponder on the bad instead of the good.

I'm so guilty of doing this. Someone asks me how I'm going, and immediately all the wrongs in my life jump to mind instead of all the rights. Moreso, within my own mind, I face a constant battle to keep on top of the anxieties that edge their way into my mind.

How good our God is to us, and how right he is in encouraging us to think on the good things and let our cares rest in the arms and heart of our Saviour.

(I was reminded of God's place in all this discussion when I glanced up as I was getting in my car this evening - a myriad of stars shone in the sky, and I remembered who it is that knows my name and all that troubles my heart)

No comments: