Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Assumption of Mary

Today was the Assumption of Mary celebrating the passage of Mary, the mother of Jesus, from earth to heaven. I'd never heard of this before, but was encouraged by the reflection based upon 1 Corinthians 15 stating that "If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied.", but that it's NOT so, we do have hope beyond this life, and that hope, which is the same as so many others who have passed before us, is not futile.

The reflection asked us to think of speaking to Mary, what would we ask her? What would we ask other people that have died, who would we want to speak to? What were our thoughts on death?

It was interesting pondering as I've always had a bit of an abhorrence of death - I like living. As much as I can grumble I don't want to die, and I certainly don't want my friend or family to... but again, it comes down to trust. Faith. Hope. We are not to be pitied, and my hope in Christ and life beyond this living is not futile - I don't understand it, I don't know what it will be like, but I do believe in it.

In other news I've just spent the past 4 hours renewing my CV and writing my first real (i.e. addressing selection criteria) job application in 5 years! Aiyahh... Back to the real world soon!!!

No comments: