Monday, January 22, 2007

Save this Tree!!!

I purchased this tree yesterday, literally bought off the back of a truck, for less than I would pay for a hot chocolate… with the only problem being that now I have no idea what type of Bonsai it is! One of those problems with not continuing with my Cantonese studies is that the only English that the man whom I bought it off spoke was "Lots of water, every day water".

I am faced with the knowledge gained this morning after reading numerous websites on bonsai maintenance that should it be an inside tree and I keep it outside it will suffer, and if it is an outdoor tree and I keep it indoors it shall die. Its variety also affects the fertilizer, amount of water, sunlight and care it receives!

Seriously... bonsai's are scary things with baby sitting services and even hospitals all dedicated to their care.

Isn’t it beautiful though?? Stay tuned for updates on its progress... or lack there of!

Any and all help would be appreciated :)


P.S. We think it might be a "Baby Jade Bonsai Tree (Portulacaria Afra)" Check out the link and let me know what you think!

4 comments:

marnie said...

hey liz, can't wait to meet your bonsai... hope it's still living by then... enjoying your blog... just discovered your recent updates! love marnie xxx

Anonymous said...

How's the tree going? Time for an update? :)

somewhere_smiling said...

Yes - Bonsai is well and truly alive
YEAH!!!

Anonymous said...

I believe it is a Fukien Tea tree. Here's some more information:
http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Carmona.html