Sunday, October 01, 2006

Pulling a Mr Kightley

“Were she prosperous or a woman equal to your age and situation I would not quarrel about any liberties of manner. But she is poor. Even moreso than when she was born. And should she live to be an old lady she will sink further still. Her situation being in everyway below you should secure your compassion. Badly done, Emma! Badly done. She has watched you grow from a time when her notice of you was an honour; to this, humbling her and laughing at her in front of people who would be guided by your treatment of her. Oh... it is not pleasant for me to say these things, but I must tell you the truth while I can... Proving myself your friend by the most faithful counsel, trusting that some time you will do my faith in you greater justice than you do it now.”

For a long time this quote from Emma (Jane Austin) has been my ideal in friendship and honesty. Inspiring me to tell the truth, or ask a question even when it might hurt the other person. It is not often that my ideals are met – and this week this particular one was.

To have people care enough to be honest and upfront is a noble thing and one that marks true integrity and character. I know I don’t always do this, actually, I do it much less than I would like to think, and when I do, don't always have the tact I should – but goodness me – how thankful I am when others “pull a Mr Kightley” in their relationship with me. Ask a question, define a relationship or just speak out the truth even when they don’t know how I’ll react.

No comments: